Cheese Enchiladas in Spinach Wraps
Breakfast- Cheese Enchiladas
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
- 1 # mild ground pork sausage
- 2 T butter
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8- 8” soft regular flour or green spinach taco size tortillas
- 1 C (4oz) Monterrey Jack cheese with peppers
- Grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 or 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- sour cream garnish on top is optional
- Cheese Sauce:
- ⅓ C butter
- ⅓ C all-purpose flour
- 3 C milk
- 8oz cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 C)
- 1- 4oz can of chopped green chiles
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Start with the cheese sauce. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook whisking constantly for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in remaining ingredients until cheese is melted.
- I left the ¾ teaspoon of salt out and thought it great.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, stirring frequently until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet and drain well in a sieve pressing on it with paper towels.
- Wipe skillet clean.
- Melt butter and add green onions and sauté 1 minute.
- Add eggs, salt and pepper and cook without stirring until eggs begin to set on the bottom. Gently draw cooked edges away from the sides of the pan to form large pieces.
- Cook until eggs are thickened but still moist.
- Remove from heat.
- Place about a ¼ cup of cheese mixture on each tortilla long ways.
- Divide up egg and sausage between the 8 tortillas and roll up tight.
- Place the tortillas seam side down in a lightly greased 9”X13” Pyrex baking dish.
- Pour remaining cheese sauce over tortillas, then sprinkle with Monterrey pepper jack cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with tomatoes and green onion and optional sour cream.