Award Winning Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake- Blueberry Almond Sour Cream
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
- For the Filling:
- 6 oz of almond paste, that has been frozen
- 2 C of blueberries
- 1 T flour
- the zest from 2 lemons
- For the Cake Batter:
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- 1 ½ sticks butter (12T) room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 C sour cream
- 2 T powder sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or spray, then flour a 10” bundt pan.
- Put the almond paste in the freezer.
- Mix the blueberries with 1 T of flour and the lemon zest and put to one side.
- Beat together the butter and sugar till smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time and while scrapping down the bowl beat till light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and beat.
- Sift the 2 C of flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together, then alternate between adding and mixing in the dry ingredients and the sour cream. (End with the flour.)
- Spoon ⅓ of the batter into to the bundt pan.
- Layer ½ of the almond paste by grating it onto the batter, then ½ of the blueberry mix.
- Add another ⅓ layer of batter, then the rest of the almond paste and blueberries.
- Finish with the last ⅓ of batter.
- Bake for around an hour, test with a toothpick. If using frozen blueberries, which I do, the baking time may take upwards of 75 minutes.
- Cool for about 20 minutes, then flip onto a plate and dust with powder sugar.