My sister Lisa forced something healthy on us at Christmas in between eating holiday cookies and cakes! She got the recipe from Cook’s Country magazine/America’s Test Kitchen.
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and sliced very thin
- 4 oz. (1C.) shredded cheese (Gouda or Cheddar recommended)
- ½ dried cherries or 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ C. pecans, toasted, skinned and chopped
- Whisk lemon juice, mustard, shallot, garlic and ½ tsp. salt together in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until incorporated.
- Trim the stem end of each sprout then cut each sprout in half through the cut end. With the flat surface on the cutting board, slice up very thin. We used a food processor. They need to be as thin as possible.
- Toss sprouts in with the vinaigrette and let sit for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours. Fold in cheese, fruit and nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.