Fruit- Baked Stuffed Apples
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
Garnished with yogurt and use at breakfast, whipping cream or vanilla ice cream for desert or serve plain with a main course like pork chops, stuffing, and a green vegetable.
- Dates, Dried Cranberries, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Walnuts can be used in any quantity you desire. It stores for months in the refrigerator. When I am making this in bulk for maybe 8 recipes of 6 apples each (depends on the size of apple) I use the following ratios.
- 1- 8oz box of chopped dates
- 16 oz dried cranberries
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 cups walnuts
Rest of Ingredients:
- Apples, 1 apple per serving, gala or maybe brae burn bakes the best. Others may split.
- Maple syrup
- Apple juice
- Vanilla yogurt, or whipping cream, or scoop of ice cream
- Garnish with flowers from garden, like pansies
- 1 teaspoon or so of cornstarch
- Put the first four ingredients in a food processor and chop until a course mixture is well combined.
- Then add the walnuts and continue chopping until they are the size of peas or smaller.
- (TIP: Don't buy whole dates, they will jam up the food processor.)
- If you are making this for just one recipe you can certainly chop a lesser amount of ingredients on a cutting board and combine it by hand.
- Core your apples and peel the skin off from the top down to the halfway mark.
- Stuff core with the filling listed above.
- Pack it in tight. Place in baking dish.
- Pour a ¼" of apple juice on bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle syrup over the top of the apples.
- Put a pat of butter on top of each packed core and bake at 350 degrees F or a 325 degree F Convection oven.
- Take it out of the oven when apples are still a little firm, not mushy.
- Baking time will vary depending on the size of apple, about 50 to 60 minutes, use a toothpick to test.
- Once out of the oven, place each apple in a shallow soup plate.
- Take the mixture from the bottom of the baking dish and dumped it into a saucepan that has the cornstarch dissolved into a little apple juice or water.
- Stir and thicken on your stove top.
- Pour Sauce over the top of the apples.
- Garnish with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, sprinkle nutmeg on the yogurt and place flower to the side of the yogurt dollop.