Snacks- Cheerios with Peanuts (or Pecans), Cashews, and Almonds
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
Serves: 8-10 cups
There always seems to be enough goop to coat everything; you just have to really mix it in the pot for a few minutes.
- ½ c. brown sugar, packed
- ½ c. dark corn syrup
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 c. Cheerios cereal
- 1 c. peanuts
- ½ c. slivered almonds
- (The original recipe is above. I usually use
- 1 cup of peanuts, 1 cup of silvered almonds and 1 cup of cashews. You could use pecans if you have a peanut allergy.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush jelly roll pan, 15½ x 10½ x 1 inch with butter or spray with oil cooking spray.
- Melt butter then add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in 3 quart, or bigger, saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- When it’s bubbling remove from heat. Stir in nuts, then add cereal and stir until well coated.
- Spread mixture in the jelly roll pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool 5 to10 minutes; then loosen mixture with metal spatula and break into chunks into a plastic container with a lid. Don’t wait too long or you are busting it apart.
- Store in the covered container.
- I usually freeze it and it lasts for months.
- Just scoop out how much you need and leave the rest in the freezer.
- About 8-10 cups of snack.