Soup- Gluten Free Corn Chowder
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
Serves: 10-11 servings, 2½+ quarts
- 2 C water
- 2 C diced peeled potatoes
- ½ C sliced carrots
- ½ sliced celery
- ¼ C chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ C butter
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- or substitute 2Tbsp of corn starch for the flour for gluten free
- 2 C milk
- 3 C (12ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream style corn
- 1 can while kernel corn
- I do this whole thing in a pot on the stove or you can follow the microwave directions below.
- Place water in a 2-quart microwave-safe dish, cover and heat until boiling.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender; set aside (do not drain.)
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart dish, microwave butter on high for 50-60 seconds or until melted.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 6-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese. Heat for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the corn and reserved veggies.
- Cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield 10-11 servings, 2-1/2+ quarts.