Breakfast- Sausage Crouton Egg Tomato Casserole
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
Serves: 10-12 servings
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 C sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ C chopped onion
- 2 ½ C onion and garlic croutons
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ C milk or half and half
- 1 C (4oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 C (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ C grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook both sausages until meat is browned.
- Drain well in a colander, pressing on it with paper towels.
- Saute onion and green pepper.
- Spray a 9X13 glass casserole dish.
- Place croutons in bottom of dish.
- Place the meat on top of the croutons.
- Top with onion and green pepper mixture.
- Saute the mushrooms briefly in the skillet and place on top of the onions and green peppers in the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs with milk or half and half and pour on top.
- Cover with saran wrap and let sit 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Place in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, then the mozzarella.
- Spread tomatoes on top of that and lastly the Romano cheese.
- If you have some fresh chives sprinkle a few of those on top.
- Put back in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven let it stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.