Muffins- Lemon Raspberry Streusel regular or gluten free
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
- ½ C Butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- zest from one lemon
- ½ C half and half (milk may be substituted)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 C flour or
- 2 C fresh or frozen raspberries
- Streusel Topping:
- ⅓ C Sugar
- ¼ C All Purpose Flour
- 2 T Butter
- Cream with an electric mixer butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs.
- Then add lemon extract, zest, and half and half.
- Mix in baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Briefly beat in flour just until mixed.
- Hand fold in raspberries.
- Use regular size muffin tins. You can spray the tin and put batter directly into the tin or spray the top area of the tin and use paper lined cups for the wells (The latter works the best.)
- Fill cups so they are crowned a little over the top, makes 11 good size muffins.
- Mix the sugar and flour together for the streusel topping, then cut in butter to make crumbles. Divide mixture between the 11 muffins and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Serve hot with butter.
For gluten free, I use McArthur Gluten Free Flour. You might have to add an additional ¼ cup flour to the 2 cups of flour to thicken it up for a whole batch. What is even better, use the regular amount of flour and add 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum. It is a thickener. You can find it in the specialty foods area of your grocery store. They turned out wonderful using this. Gluten free has a tendency to be crumbly, even more so if you are adding more flour. This took care of that and if you hadn't told me they were gluten free, I wouldn't have been able to tell!
Serving size: 10-12