Soup- Vegan, Vegetable and Peanut Butter
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 inch (more or less) of fresh grated or minced ginger root
- ¼ tsp (more or less to taste) dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large-ish sweet potato, peeled and chopped in ¾ inch dice
- 3 or 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- Up to half a head of cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 cup or more cauliflower florets
- 1 small-medium red or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped in ¾ inch dice
- ½ to 1-cup small pasta
- 2 cups firm tofu, optional, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach leaves (any tough stems removed) rough chopped
- 2 to 4 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- ¼ to ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth; increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower and bell pepper; bring back to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered for about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and return to a simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Veggies should be tender.
- Add the tofu, spinach, cilantro/parsley and peanut butter, stirring to “melt” and distribute the peanut butter.
- Simmer gently until the tofu is heated and the spinach is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.