Tart- Tomato Zucchini
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
Serves: 6-8 servings
TIP: If you are watching calories, you can get by with a ¼ cup mayo and ¼ cup of cheese. I think this recipe would be great with sauteed sweet onions, or sauteed red pepper, or crisp bacon on it also.
- ½ (15-oz) package of refrigerated pie crust, or make your own recipe.
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced about a ½ pound
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced- if using plum, use 3
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped, or 1 tsp dried basil
- ⅓ cup mayo or light mayo
- ⅓ cup (about 1.5- oz) fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Fit pie crust into a 9" tart shell, trim excess and prick bottom.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes until lightly browned.
- Saute' zucchini in hot oil in a large skillet for a few minutes or until tender.
- Arrange zucchini on top of pie crust.
- Slice and arrange tomatoes on top.
- Stir together basil, mayo, and cheese.
- Drop by teaspoons over tomatoes and spread gently.
- Top with pepper.
- Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until heated and cheese mixture is slightly melted.
Coffee Cake- Apricot Almond Tart
Gracehill Bed and Breakfast
The original recipe calls for 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of a 15 oz package) room temperature. Says to unroll crust on a heavy rimmed baking sheet, spread filling over crust leaving a 1 ½ inch plain border which you then fold back up and over the filling. Instead I make my own pie crust dough and use a large tart pan. The edges look a lot crisper and it bakes more evenly. The crust I use has a ratio of 6 cups of flour, 1 pound of lard, and 2 t of salt. About two cups of this mixture will make a large tart bottom. Use very cold water to form ball and roll out. The rest of the dry ingredients can be refrigerated for future use
- ½ of 8 oz can of almond paste
- 3T and ½T sugar, divided
- 3 oz cream cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1- 15 oz can of lite apricot halves (or those in heavy syrup)
- ¼ cup apricot jam, heated in microwave
- Pie crust dough, see below
- 3 broken up amaretto cookies (Italian macaroons) or if you can't find these use a little flake coconut as shown in the photo above. Lately I have been using Archway Specialties Coconut Macaroons and like them a lot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Blend almond paste and 3 T sugar in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add cream cheese, egg yolk, and vanilla and blend until filling is smooth.
- Spread your filling on the rolled out pie crust dough.
- Drain the apricots and cut into strips. About 4 strips per apricot half.
- Arrange apricot slices pinwheel fashion on the filling in a spoke pattern in 2 concentric circles.
- Dribble apricot jam on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Crumble up cookies and lightly cover top of tart.
- Bake until crust is golden about 43 minutes.
- Cool and serve warm or at room temp.